Banner generated at Pimp-My-Profile.com The Path God Led Us Down

Caring for an orphan is at the very heart of God. It is about being a part of his plan by being obedient to him. So with great joy we are honored to be a part of of his great plan. So please join us as our Lord and Savior leads us into the arms of our precious daughter Isabella.

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, March 09, 2007

Why isin't God more predictable ?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Is. 55:8-9

Do you ever wish that God would be more obvious or make life easier to understand?

It never ceases to amaze me.the minute I think I have God figured out (or, at least, His plan for me figured out), He throws me a curve ball. Every time I think I'm finally getting into a "rhythm" with God, the music changes, and I have to "let Him lead" all over again. At times it's fun, other times it's just plain frustrating. One thing is for sure, it's always interesting. Looking back, I think I've spent a better portion of my life wishing that God would be more predictable. Humility, prayer and a little bit of life-given wisdom, however, have begun to show me that "predictable" is just a simplified, human way of saying "more controllable". But God is not controllable. God is unpredictable.That is not to say that God is irrational, illogical or uncaring, far from it. Making that mistake would mean assuming that everything that God does (or allows) should make sense to our short-sighted, imperfect and limited minds. That is the worst kind of pride, though, where our ego outweighs God's identity. That is the kind of pride that allows people to doubt God's existence because they don't understand His ways.

I want a God I can't understand. If the Creator of the Universe, and all life within it, is on the same intellectual plain as I am.we have a problem.The problem is that while many of us claim to want that unpredictable life, what we really want is a life that is "unpredictable and not boring" but still within our control.But that way of thinking and living is contrary to the reality that God is creator and we are His creation. Put very simply. It's about God's will, not ours. It's about God's plan, not ours. It's about what God wants, whatever God wants.

I don't think Abraham felt like moving 1500 miles away from home, but he did.
I don't think Moses felt like taking on an empire, but he did.
I doubt Esther wanted to risk her life to save her countrymen, but she did.
I don't think Mary planned on giving birth to the Savior of humanity, but she did.
I doubt Joseph felt very worthy to raise God's son as his own, but he did.
I doubt Paul was comfortable preaching to those he had tried to kill, but he did.
Come to think of it, I don't think that anyone in the entire Bible who did anything worthy of note would claim that God was predictable or controllable. In fact, they are mentioned now, thousands of years later, precisely because they understood that God is God, and they were not.

What an important lesson to learn and to remember each day, that "God is God and you are not". It's not about us, but Christ in us.

If you find yourself in "that place" right now, where you don't know where God is leading you, or why God is allowing some of the situations in your life that He is, don't run from Jesus, lean into Him. As the mass prayers remind us, "In God we live and move and have your being". Apart from God you have nothing. And, in time (or at the end of time), you will see why He has allowed certain things or called you to do different things. One thing you can trust in is that everything God calls you into, or out of, is designed to bring you (and others) closer to Him and closer to Heaven.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Is. 55:8-9

Trust God more than yourself. Your life won't be predictable, but it will be joyful and eternal.
Peace.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Ohilda said...

I keep getting hit in the head with this lesson, and I just don't seem to learn. God works best when we move out of the way and let Him do his job.

Thank you for the reminder.

Love you!

 

Post a Comment



________________
Add this to your site

<< Home